Planning to take a trip for Labor Day weekend? Perhaps by car? If so, expect many neighbors on the road. Millions of people travel away from their homes over the weekend. Tragically, hundreds of people are killed in car accidents over the busy weekend. With more vehicles on the road and a heightened risk of encountering drunk drivers, the conditions for a crash are present in many places.
So what can you do to protect yourself and your fellow travelers? After all, the long final weekend of summer is a great time to take a road trip. Although you cannot eliminate the possibility of an accident, you can do some things to prepare and to reduce your risk:
- Don't drink and drive. With smart phones, ride-share apps, cabs and public transportation, there's no excuse to drive under the influence.
- For long trips with multiple licensed drivers, take turns behind the wheel.
- As you plan your trip, build in rest stops so you can get out, relax and unfocus your eyes, and stretch your muscles.
- Get plenty of rest the night before driving. Drowsy driving is highly dangerous and an often-overlooked cause of accidents.
- Schedule a tune-up for your vehicle ahead of your trip. A well-maintained vehicle is much less likely to have problems on the road, which can help you avoid the hazards of a breakdown.
In the event you are involved in an accident, try to remain calm. We know that can seem impossible in the chaos and trauma of a crash, but it's important to remain as level-headed as possible. Make sure an ambulance is called if you or anyone else is seriously injured, and exchange information with the other motorist. But don't apologize or imply you were at fault for the accident. Call our attorneys as soon as possible to find out what to do next.
You can reach us at 803-799-9400. Whetstone Perkins & Fulda have law offices in Columbia, Myrtle Beach and Kingstree.