Motorcycle accidents can turn your life upside down. Here are 5 common types of bike accidents, and some tips for how to avoid them when possible:
1. A motorist is tailgating your motorcycle. A vehicle that is following you too closely doesn't allow for sudden stops or reductions in speed. They could hit you from behind, causing a tragic accident.
2. A motorist turns left in front of you. A motorist who fails to see you or fails to correctly judge your speed may make a left turn in front of you. The consequences can be catastrophic. Although you can't prevent this from happening, you can try to anticipate and avoid it. Be especially cautious in areas where a left turn is likely. You may see them in the turn lane as you travel through an intersection, or in the turn lane of a multiple-lane road. One thing you can do is slow down slightly and be aware of options for evasive maneuvers if the motorist turns in front of you.
3. Road surfaces are wet, slippery or icy. Adverse road conditions are something all motorists have to adjust for, including bikers. If your bike has good tires, your motorcycle may perform well in rain or even snow, but you should still slow down to avoid getting in an accident.
4. A motorist shifts into your lane suddenly. Motorists may not see and recognize your motorcycle before veering into your lane. Although you may have to pass through someone's blind spot momentarily, avoid lingering there.
5. A motorcycle rider has too many alcoholic drinks before riding. Drunk driving is one of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents. If you've had too much to drink, don't get on your bike. Call a cab, an Uber or other rideshare, take the bus or ask a sober friend for a lift. Doing so could save your life and the lives of other people on the road.
For a free consultation with our experienced Columbia and Myrtle Beach motorcycle accident lawyers, please call Whetstone Perkins & Fulda at 803-799-9400. We are passionate about advocating for accident victims from across the state of South Carolina.